R&B singer Jeremih, 33, is now out of intensive care as he continues to battle COVID-19 while hospitalized.
In a statement published by ET on Saturday, Nov. 21, the Chicago-based Def Jam artist’s family said, “Jeremih has been transferred out of ICU. He will spend the rest of his recovery time in a regular hospital room. The true healing begins. Thank you all for your prayers and wishes.”
The positive update comes just days after Jeremih’s rep confirmed he was on a ventilator in the ICU after contracting the coronavirus.
Video: Report: Over 130 Secret Service officers either infected with Covid or quarantining (NBC News)
News of his condition sparked widespread concern in the music world last week, as artists including 50 Cent, Chance the Rapper, Big Sean and Toni Braxton posted prayers and words of support for the rising star musician.
Jeremih’s relatives, meanwhile, urged fans to exercise extreme caution with regard to the disease, which continues to see record numbers of new cases across the country. As of this weekend, more than 254,000 people in the U.S. have died from COVID-19.
“His family would like to remind the world that COVID-19 is real and not to be taken lightly,” Jeremih’s rep said in a statement last week.
“Also, it’s important for people infected to quarantine and let their families and friends know ASAP,” the statement continued.
“There’s no shame in contracting COVID-19, and people that have it need to be responsible and considerate of others. Everyone diagnosed with COVID-19 is affected differently, Unfortunately for Jeremih, COVID-19 viciously attacked his body.”