Are travellers in Asia Pacific “travel addicts”? Find out in this study
14/11/2017,
by ,
in Regions,
Sectors,
Social

Do you troll the Internet for travel offers? Has checking flight deals before bedtime become a nightly habit? If so, you might already be a full-blown “travel addict”, and you are not alone as a recent survey by travel search engine KAYAK disclosed that many people are right there with you.

The KAYAK “Travel Addicts” Survey was conducted among 2,100 respondents between ages 21 to 45 across seven Asia Pacific (APAC) markets – Australia, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan. The study looked into people’s behaviours to see just how addicted they are to travelling and also what triggers them to travel.

The findings uncovered some “very interesting data points” about APAC travellers, said KAYAK – many engaging in bedtime travel booking, purchasing their next trips while on the road and booking a trip while working in the office.

Here are some key findings from the survey (infographic below)

Important considerations for travel

Singaporean travellers saw cost (56%) and a safe environment (56%) as the most important factors when planning a trip. On the other hand, respondents from Hong Kong (44%) and Taiwan (52%) were more likely to see a good travel companion as the most important factor, even more so than financial concerns (37%).

Booking travel anytime, anywhere

40% of APAC travellers are likely to book their trips online using their smartphones before going to bed. India ranked highest (46%) in this regard, followed by Hong Kong (44%) and South Korea (43%), with 38% of Singaporeans also engaging in bedtime travel booking.

Smartphones popular device to book travel on the go (Image credit: Rawpixel/iStock)

Zooming in on Singaporean travellers, the survey revealed that 31% of Singaporean travellers have searched or even booked their next trips online when on the road, 32% during their commute on public transport, 18% while in the toilet, 4% when drunk and 11% while listening to a boring lecture in class.

Interestingly, booking a trip while working in the office is popular not only in Singapore (38%) but also in India (45%) and Hong Kong (48%), but not so much in Japan (18%).

Multiple sources to find deals

According to the report, it is the norm among APAC travellers to open multiple browsers and websites to compare the cheapest price. A regional average of 49% of travellers are happy to spend the time checking four or more websites to make sure they find the best bargain.

Deadline-fighting, where a traveller books several hotels with free cancellation policies and planning plan to cancel all but the cheapest at the last minute, is not usually a practice among APAC travellers. Data showed that only 19% of Singapore respondents used this method in getting good hotel deals while 31% of Hong Kong travellers said they have tried out the tactic.

Posting the travel experience on social media

Indians post the most on their travel, both during and after a trip, with an average of 10 posts per trip, twice as many as Singaporean travellers. Holiday-makers from Hong Kong and Japan post the least, an average of four posts. On the flip side, 24% of Australian respondents noted that they wouldn’t post a single picture on social media, preferring to completely shut themselves off from the virtual world when travelling.

Indian travellers post the most on social media of their travel (Image credit: Bet_Noire/iStock-Getty Images)

After posting to their feed, 38% of Indian travellers said they would check their social media posts at least every few hours to keep track of “likes”, whereas people from Singapore (38%), Hong Kong (44%), and Australia (34%) were more likely to check in only once or twice a day.

Amy Wei, senior director, APAC of KAYAK said the survey enabled the company to find out more about travellers’ overall travel-related behaviours. “Not only will this help us to map our data with their behaviours, but we hope that by releasing the findings of this survey, we will also help travellers understand more about themselves.”

 

Featured image credit: AlexBrylo/iStock-Getty Images 



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here